Saturday, July 28, 2007

31St Century Warrior - Update 25/07/07

Update:
Well its been a while since I last updated. Above I was playing with and SSS seeing if I could get it working with my normal map for it seemed to be over riding it. I tried everything from a Fake SSS, Reel SSS and no SSS. In both the no and fake SSS I could easily see my normal map working but in my Real SSS I found that it didnt want to work what so ever. I've tried pluggin it into both the SSS's bump and displacement with no luck.

Well I did some research to see why this was not working and it turns out that it does work in the SSS bump its just that with the 3+ colours mixing in the SSS it diludes the look of the normal map causing it to look flat. The ways to go around it is to push the normal in your textures that you are using for your SSS. It also helps to have an AO map and or Light map.

While I was doing some research I disided to do some work on the armour seeing how I wanted to look like metal wise. That is what was my metal material generally going to look like. I wanted the majority of my armour to act like a cars surface, reflecting 3 different colours depending on the angle you are looking at it.

In the image above I am using grids with transpency. I still have to make a spec map and play with the diffuse to give the hair more valume but it doesn't look that bad. Using grids is a low poly approach, and though my character is not lowpoly I thought to try it out to see if it will work well or if I should go with generated hair. You can see from the picture that up close it is noticable that I'm using grids for hair, but from a distance its harder to tell.

Thats about it. I'll post more as time progresses.

1 comment:

Ashwani Tyagi said...

best concept i really
like it